NYS Senator James L. Seward (R-50), right, with NYSBHA members Chris Kjolhede, MD and Jane Hamilton, RN of Bassett Healthcare at NYSBHA’s Advocacy Day event in Albany February 2020.
Our Advocacy Priorities
Hold New York's SBHCs Harmless in the 2021-2022 NYS Budget!
- SBHCs are in financial crisis. Sustained funding for SBHCs benefit the children, families, and economy of the State.
- Contact Governor Cuomo and ask him to hold SBHCs harmless in the final 2021-22 State Budget.
- Maintain the $17,098,000 in funds provided in the 2021-2022 proposed State Executive Budget.
- Contact your Legislative Representatives to request $5 million in new funds for SBHCs in the final 2021-22 State Budget.
27 SBHC sponsoring organizations’ non-Medicaid grants funds were disproportionately reduced in 2017 due to the combination of: 1) a 20% across the board cut in the final 2017-18 State budget; and 2) an administrative action taken by the Department of Health to impose additional cuts on some SBHCs ranging from 25% to 70% of total non-Medicaid grant funds
Support SBHC Carve-Out Legislation A09894/S07812
- Through legislative and regulatory efforts, we aim to create opportunities to expand innovative models, demonstrate the impact of SBHCs to the health care and education sectors, and maximize reimbursement to promote fiscal sustainability.
- Support Legislation A01587 / S2127 to protect the choice of each SBHC to operate either carved-out from Medicaid managed care or participating in Medicaid managed care.
Support 340B Remaining in Managed Care in NYS
- Safety net providers participating in federal 340B will lose significant savings if prescription drugs purchased under Medicaid managed care are carved out by April 1, 2021. Providers will lose hundreds of millions of dollars they now use for patient care and the state will receive the savings instead.
- Support 2021-2022 legislation A1671 / S2520 to protect safety net providers from devastating financial losses in the NYS budget
Interested in advocating for New York’s SBHCs? Use our sbhc-legislator match list to see representative by sbhc address or use the Assembly and Senate buttons below.
Find your Assembly Member
Follow the button and input your street address and zip code to find your New York State Assembly Representative.
Visit your Assembly member’s page and locate the “Contact Me” button on the left to gather the phone numbers, email address, and contact form for your Assembly Member.
Find your Senator
Follow the button and input your street address and zip code to find your New York State Senator.
Click the button “Message Senator” and follow site instructions to create and account and send your Senator a message.
3. Make your voice heard!
Follow our phone, email, and tweet scripts when you contact your representatives and advocate for New York School-Based Health Centers about our current priorities.
For any further questions or concerns regarding advocacy, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in having your sbhc students get more involved? Follow the link to see how they can share their SBHC stories and more!