In recent months, Congress has approved trillions of economic stimulus dollars, but in this post, Pedro Noguera (dean of the Rossier School of Education at the University of Southern California) and Robert Boyd (president of School-Based Health Alliance) argue for a different kind of public investment they say is way overdue. Years of research show that effective spending on education and prevention care has a positive impact.
Here are so ways we could invest the trillion dollars:
- End the digital divide.
- Keep kids safe and healthy.
- Hire more teachers, especially people of color, or pay them better.
- Restore programs that engage students.
- Connect with the community.
- Fix or rebuild aging schools.
September 15, 2020